Tuesday, 21 June 2016

Mintamorphosis

I don't know about you, but at Christmas our family stock up on treats...big time! So, once we've waded our way through the mountain of chocolate, sweets and biscuits there's all the tins to deal with. I'm very lucky in that my in-laws are real Christmas sweet hoarders and fill the house to the brim - which is how I came to have a bit of a collection of tins for some of my crafty supplies. This year I got a London bus, a soldier and the odd ones out - two After Eight tins. Those two green tins bugged me. They're a handy shape for pens, pencils, brushes and dinner candles, but they just weren't aesthetically pleasing. So, after picking up some Trimcraft Deco Mache papers on sale at Hobbycraft, I set out to experiment on one of the tins.

I scrunched up the papers, then roughly smoothed them out. After applying a thick layer of pva to a section of the tin at a time, I laid on the paper smooshing it in wrinkles to disguise the embossed texture of the tin. Once the tin was covered, leaving the lip on the body and lid clear, I left it to dry overnight. A liberal application of bronze metallic paint and another night drying. I used a Tim Holtz clock and gears mask (it's an old design, so I'm not sure if it's still available) and inked over with black ink and a blending tool. Another drying session and a blast with the hairdryer before a final coat of Glossy Mod (choral singing)  Podge.

And here's the finished box....




And the second one waiting on it's makeover.





Happy Scrapping







8 comments:

  1. Very clever Michelle, love it xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous recreation of the tin and now you've given me an idea of a box I thought I might have to bin - THANK YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Virginia, do post pics when you're done.

      Delete
  3. Goodness, this project turned out SO wonderfully! You must be proud and you should be! BTW: tried to get click on your link for today from 2Peas Ref. site and it didn't work - I think there's a typo on the link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margie, I am pleased with it and gearing up to start on the next one. I just can't decide if I should match it or do something different.

      Delete