Monday, 11 January 2016

Hats off to the Cameo!

Home from work and eager to share one of my makes from this weekend, so here's a little background......As I mentioned on a previous post, the ever thoughtful Ray bought me a Silhouette Cameo 2 for Christmas and I've been busy looking at all the amazing projects people have made with it.

For my first project I decided to go for something 3D, my crafting has definitely taken a turn for that kind of thing recently, although scrapping will always be a big part of my crafting. Anyway, I didn't want to go for something really basic, I've had a CraftRobo for years and I'm pretty comfortable with the tech so I decided to go for something I really liked the look of, a 3d hat. I downloaded the cut file from the Silhouette Design Store for the HUGE sum of £1.31, most of the files are under £1....so I was really pushing the budget with that one!

Once I got my cut settings right for the Core-dinations cardstock, I set them up as a custom setting, a really handy feature as the chance of me remembering them were minimal. I resized the cut file and cut the hat pieces. Then it was just the simple matter of gluing them together and decorating the hat. I used the new Papermania geometric-mono paper line, a few gems and a medium heart punch, along with plastic scraps from packaging to decorate. I love how it turned out and can see me making more of these themed for the seasons or instead of a card for birthdays and the like.


Making this has also inspired me to have a go at making a smaller hat from scratch, but more of that later. In the meantime, I can't wait to try something more elaborate, I have my eye on a 3d house on Svgcuts along with most of their other designs. I'm also keen to try designing projects, so hopefully soon I'll be cutting my own designs. 

Thanks for stopping by and Happy Crafting. 



11 comments:

  1. That is so cute! I'm not adventurous enough to try things like that!
    BTW - thanks for your comment on my blog!
    I don't know if you have "reply notifications" on, but I responded so if you get a chance, please go check it out!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you should give it a go, it's so much easier than it looks. I'm off now to check out your response.

      Delete
  2. OH WOW!!! That's amazing and especially since it's a new machine for you! I never could get the settings right on mine and gave up and put it in storage. I just think this is terrific!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you have the settings sorted it's a breeze and a there's a lot of people who have listed their's so it can make it a lot easier. Thanks for the lovely comment and for taking the time to visit.

      Delete
  3. I love it! I did top hats this year as part of my Christmas card design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sound lovely, off to see if they're on your blog.

      Delete
  4. This looks amazing! Is it life-size, ie. wearable? The "ever thoughtful Ray" is your husband, I take it! You're so lucky, I hope you know that! Not only because he spent all that money, but because he's supporting you in doing what you love. My husband thinks it's a waste of time and money, so I usually craft when he's not around and even hide my new purchases from him. I have the Silhouette and never told him how much it cost. It was a birthday present from (the ever thoughtful!) myself in 2012, LOL! Enjoy your new toy and thanks so much for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one isn't a wearable size, well not for my massive head, but I did downsize the pattern. Yes, Ray is my husband and I know how lucky I am, as not only is he a lovely fella he's also extremely supportive and encouraging in everything I do. I know others appreciate your crafts and I for one always enjoy looking at your latest projects, so of course you should treat yourself....at least if your other half isn't interested he hasn't a clue what it costs....which could prove handy and I'm sure he makes up for it in other lovely ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops! That was meant to say Catherine, I forgot my glasses today.

    ReplyDelete