Thursday, 20 March 2014

it's good to dream.....the story so far.

I made a decision about a year ago to try and spread my crafty wings a bit. I think most crafters dream of working in the craft industry in some small way, as we all seem to get a bit obsessed once the bug bites and I thought I might make inroads if I made more of an effort to increase my experience. Who knows if it would ever lead anywhere but it's worth a go I thought.

First thing I did was look up my favourite paper manufacturers and scout around their blogs/forums, this led to finding that they or their forum members set challenges. So I entered a few, I wasn't confident of my ability and working within a set criteria like using a set paper line or subject matter was new to me. It turned out I loved it. I could see how my layouts improved by using set products and it also led me to experiment with altered items and mini books, something I hadn't done before.

These two layouts were entered in DCWV's challenges and both were selected as part of their TOP 10. DCWV run regular challenges and pick ten of their favs which are then put in a hat to win a selection of their products.




These led to me attempting a chipboard mini album. I used a Papermania mini and The Luxury DCWV paper stack. This was featured on the DCWV Facebook page.


So a few more challenges later on the Docrafts blog and a little more confidence led me to thinking I would like to try and get on a design team.

I was already on the Docrafts forum when I discovered they were looking for a design team for their Creativity Club. I have always been a fan of their products which are lovely quality and varied, perfect for someone like me who likes a bit of everything, so it was a no-brainer. I sent off my application and waited......I was shocked and chuffed to pieces when they offered me a place. I think my crafting has improved with the encouragement from my fellow team members and the Docrafts team. Some products have not been things I would have selected for myself but which have made me rethink my approach and maybe use them in a different way and I have been really pleased with the results. This box for instance was created using decoupage items used for cards, I am not a card maker although my fellow team mates create some beautiful pieces which has made me think of having a go now and again but it's not really my thing, still never say never.




Anyway, I just wanted to encourage my fellow crafters to maybe try something new and to follow your dreams no matter how big or small.....it's good to dream.

Michelle x

3 comments: